Sattavic Diet – Sattvic foods , derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Sattva’ that literally means qualities like goodness, wholesomeness, holiness, and peace, are the organically grown fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, milk, dairy products( except eggs), natural sweet foods like honey, molasses, mild spices such as basic, coriander, turmeric , basic, and beans and light lentils. Sattvic foods are wholesome, highly nutritious, and easy to digest. Sattvic foods are to be consumed on a regular basis. Such foods not only nourish our body and mind but also strengthen our souls to advance on the path of self-attainment.
Rajasic Diet – Rajasic foods, derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Rajas’ that literally means attributes like passion, activity, energy, and motion, are foods that include spicy, hot, bitter, sour and pungent foods, which are not as easily digestible as Sattvic food. Items such red lentils, toor lentils, white urad lentils, black and green gram, chickpeas, spices such as chilies and black pepper and stimulants such as broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, onion and garlic, tea, coffee, chocolate, sour apples, pickles and refined sugars all fall in the Rajasic food category. The foods in this category are stimulating and activate the various functions of the body. Rajasic food energises almost all the systems, specially the nervous system. However, consumption of Rajasic foods is not advised on a regular basis as it leads to aggressiveness and irritability.
Tamasic Diet – Tamasic foods, derived from the Sanskrit word Tamas that literally means traits like imbalance, disorder, anxiety, impurity, destruction, and lethargy, are those that have a sedative effect on the mind and body. Tamasic foods are meat of an animal, fish, fertilized egg, onion, garlic, scallion, leek, chive, mushroom, alcoholic beverages, durian, blue cheese, eggplant, opium, and any food which has been kept overnight before consumption. In addition, fermented foods, including vinegar, bread, pastries and cakes are tamasic, too. Stale, overripe or underripe, tasteless and rotten foods are also tamasic in nature. In general, such foods are considered detrimental for human health. Such foods must be avoided as they cause mental dullness and physical numbness. However, in times of pain they are allowed to lessen suffering.
Benefits of a balanced Yogic diet
- A yogic food plan increases vigor, energy, vitality, joy and health. It nourishes the body and maintains it in a peaceful state
- Eating a plant-based diet is high in fiber means you get fuller faster and stay that way for longer, meaning you need to consume less food, less frequently – a wonderful way to lose extra weight.
- Yogic diet boosts digestion and enhances elimination of toxins from the body, giving unparalleled health benefits.
- Less stress on your vital internal organs like liver, kidneys, and gut ensures you stay active and fit to live fully.
- Common problems like indigestion, stress, muscular aches, and joint pains can easily be reduced by simply following Sattvic diet on a regular basis.
A combination of Saatvic and Rajasic diet in conjunction with OORJA breathing can work wonders with your general wellbeing.