The word asana is a Sanskrit word that literally means a posture. When a posture is in sync with the ancient science and doctrine of Yoga, it becomes a Yogasana. Yogasanas differ from other forms of physical exercise for the core reason that they are not merely meant for physical fitness – of course they facilitate improved fitness, too – but for a greater purpose of channelizing one’s energy to attain the apex of physical, mental, and spiritual wellbeing. When a yogi(or yogini) consciously and religiously performs yogasanas by getting the body into well defined yogic postures, she can attain improved health, concentration, consciousness, and blissfulness. Our body can take immeasurable postures, however according to the ancient doctrine, 84 Yoga postures have been defined as Yogasanas.
Benefits of Yogasana
- Improved flexibility with yoga results in lightness in the body. It also strengthens our muscles. A perfect combination of flexibility and muscle strength helps you get rif of unwanted muscular and join pans, and also give you more vitality to work on and on.
- Poor postures lead to stiff shoulders, cervical spodylitis, and lower-back ache, very common problem caused by modern lifestyle. You can perfect your postures that in result puts less pressure on back and back muscles, leaving you pain free.
- Back bends, forward bends, and twists of yoga ensure that your spine stays strong and healthy.
- Duriing yoga, you lift your own weight in many asanas. Weight-bearing exercise strengthens bones and you can fend off arthritis, osteoporosis, and joint pains.
- Like any fitness exercise, yoga ups your heart rate, taking it in the aerobic range, and reduces your blood pressure, relieving hypertension.
- Studies have found that regular yoga practice improves coordination, reaction time, memory, and even IQ scores.
- Yoga encourages you to relax, slow your breath, and focus on the present, which is soothing and recuperative.
Under apt guidance of Yogacharya Gopal Krishna Ji, who has over 25 years of in Yoga, you can reap unlimited benefits by mastering yogasanas with utmost ease.